Frequently Asked Questions

1) Type of Renewals

What type of plates can I renew with

Currently, the following types of plates are available for renewal with

  • passenger vehicles
  • specialty plates
  • no-fee military plates*: IS, PR, LM, DV, XP
  • truck: B, D, F, H, J, K, L, N, P, Q, and R
  • trailer: TA, TB, TC, TD, TE, TG, TK, TL, TN
  • farm trailer: VDD, VDE, VDG, VDJ, VDL
  • RV, RT
  • motorcycles (MCY)

More plate types may become available. If you’re unsure if your plate type is eligible, we encourage you to try and renew. You will be notified before payment if your plate is not eligible for renewal with

*In some cases, only the first set of plates are no-fee.

Can I renew my personalized and/or vanity plate?

Yes. Personalized and/or Vanity plates can be renewed with

When can I renew my plate with

You can renew your plate with early or late. You can renew your plate up to 14 months before it expires and up to 11 months after it expires (some restrictions apply). A renewal is assessed a late fee if it is expired more than 30 days and will have a $20 late fee applied (trailers and motorcycles are not assessed late fees).

Can I still renew my sticker if it’s late?

Yes. If your sticker has expired more than 30 days ago, you will be assessed a late fee of $20 on top of your normal renewal fee.

Can I renew more than one vehicle?

Yes. You can renew as many vehicles as you like and we can ship them to you in one convenient package.

Can I renew my business’ vehicle?

Yes. Vehicles registered to a business are eligible for renewal through

2) What info do I need?

Where do I find my PIN?

You can find your PIN and Registration ID on the renewal notice sent to you by the Secretary of State.

Is my insurance information required to renew my Illinois license plate sticker?

Insurance information is optional and not required in order to renew.

3) Speed of delivery

How fast can I get my sticker?

If you place your order before 3PM CST, we will put your sticker in the mail the same day.

USPS First Class Mail arrives on average, in 1-5 business days (non-guaranteed):

Can I have my sticker shipped to an address other than my registered Illinois address?
Yes. can ship to a separate shipping address, even if that address is out of state.

What if I do not receive my sticker?

All stickers are sent via USPS First Class mail and therefore are not trackable. If you have not received your sticker and it's been more than 7 business days don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance.

4) Payment

What payment methods do you accept? accepts all major credit cards.

Is it safe to use my credit card online?

Yes. We use an industry standard tool supplied by Authorize.NET, a payment gateway, to process transactions and enforce HTTPS as an added layer of security. Fastlicense also does not save credit card information on the servers.

5) Fees

What fees are associated with renewing my sticker with
  • We break down the fees associated with renewing your sticker to be fully transparent.
  • Renewal Fees are the cost of renewing your sticker with the Secretary of State.
  • Service Fees are the regulated fees that charges to renew with

6) Misc

How does work?

Provide with your vehicle and owner information and we will renew your Illinois license plate sticker with the Secretary of State and ship it to the address you provide.

How quickly do you provide support? hours of operation are Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 5PM Central Standard Time.
Please start by viewing our FAQs on the top of the page or by typing your question after you have clicked the "HELP" button in the lower left corner of the page.
During normal business hours:

  • Calling 844-885-1580 will get you the fastest service
  • Emailing, or using the "HELP" button in the lower left corner will get you support within minutes, if not, within the hour

Outside of our normal business hours:

  • Leaving a voicemail, an email or a message via the "HELP" button will get you support the next business day
*Extended support may be available during peak renewal times
If I mistakenly renewed a vehicle, can I get a refund?

Refund requests must be made with the Secretary of State and are at their sole discretion. You can apply for a refund through the Secretary of State’s website at: Secretary of State’s Website

Be aware that this is only a request and not a final approval for a refund.

What is a benefit access program number? Can I use a benefit access number to get a discount?

The benefit access program (formerly known as the circuit breaker program) applies to senior citizens and persons with disabilities and allows a discounted renewal fee. One must apply for a benefit access program number through the Illinois Department of Aging. If you have a valid benefit access number, you can provide it during the renewal process and you will be given the discounted rate. If you are unsure of you benefit access number, you can look up your number here:

I forgot to use my benefit access number to get my discount. What do I do now?

You will be charged the full amount of your renewal. You can apply for a refund of $75 by applying through the Secretary of State here: The Secretary of State is solely responsible for any and all refunds.

©2021 FASTLICENSE.COM, All Rights Reserved.

©FASTLICENSE.COM 2021 is not operated by the Illinois Secretary of State or any other government agency.

©FASTLICENSE.COM 2021 is owned and operated by Electronic License Service, LLC (ELS) which is an authorized electronic service provider to the Illinois Secretary of State.

Click here for the ELS Remittance Agent License RA: 0191 issued by the Illinois Secretary of State.